Improvements to Southern Railway
That's the plan
RailPlan20/20 is the transformation and modernisation of four interconnected rail networks. The Southern network is one of these. The benefits will be felt across the entire network, bringing you greater capacity and brand new trains on some routes. There will also be more frequent services with fewer interchanges and access to more destinations than ever before.
A completely new timetable will be rolled out over several weeks during May and June. This will allow a rolling deployment of improvements in metro and mainline services as they bed down. More specific information will be available in the coming weeks.
Improvements to Southern include:
From May 2018
- The introduction of metro-style services in some London suburbs with simplified routes, increased frequency and capacity
- New direct routes to and from the South Coast through London and up to Bedford
- A new Sunday service between Sutton and Epsom Downs
- A revised service on the East Coastway following extensive consultation with passenger groups
- On the Brighton line, there will be new direct routes through London and new travel opportunities up to Cambridge
- Anyone travelling from London Bridge to East Croydon (and onward interchange) will see a significant uplift in services
From December 2018
- Increased frequency of services through London
- The interconnection with the Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) presents new, simplified journey options and destinations