Improvements to Great Northern
That's the plan
RailPlan20/20 is the transformation and modernisation of four interconnected rail networks. The Great Northern network is one of these. The benefits will be felt across the entire network, bringing you greater capacity and brand new trains on some routes. There will also be more frequent services with fewer interchanges and access to more destinations than ever before.
A completely new timetable will be rolled out over several weeks during May and June. This will allow a rolling deployment of improvements in metro and mainline services as they bed down. More specific information will be available in the coming weeks.
Improvements to Great Northern include:
From May 2018
- Direct Thameslink services from Cambridge and local Great Northern stations to Brighton via Gatwick with new destinations and travel opportunities
- Direct Thameslink services from Peterborough to Horsham via London Bridge and Gatwick Airport
- Increased frequency and capacity of trains from Welwyn Garden City. Hadley Wood will enjoy increased frequency into London after extensive consultation with passenger groups
From December 2018
- Additional direct Thameslink services from Cambridge and local Great Northern stations to Brighton via Gatwick
- The interconnection with the Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) presents new, simplified journey options and destinations
From May 2019
- Direct London services from Welwyn Garden City and local stations to Sevenoaks with simplified services and new travel opportunities